Here I am at Day 9 of this journey in a steel rod brace. I broke my patella in a fall and had a patellectomy. I am amazed at how much we take for granted and hope these brief comments will give you pause to be extremely grateful as you go through your week.
Here’s just the short list of actions that I’m really missing:
- Flexing my right knee which is of course every time I walk
- Driving my car
- Taking a shower
- Doing my 25 jumping jacks every morning
- Going for my 2-mile walk every day
- Walking to my mail box which is at the entrance to my complex
- Sleeping in my bed
- Putting on my socks
- Opening my shutters behind the sofa
- Carrying a glass of water
- Closing the dishwasher
BUT, here’s the good stuff from this plight:
- Gaining upper body strength from lifting my full body weight with each step on a walker
- Having fun with security in airports since I now have three screws in my right knee. Can you say TSA?
- Embracing the outpouring of kindness from friends
- Wonderful food, food and more food
- Beautiful flowers
- No house cleaning because I can’t!
- Learning how important it is to be an attentive friend
More to come along the way, Keep those cards, thoughts and prayers coming!